Heritage Village Museum is a living history museum depicting life in Southwestern Ohio through-out the 19th Century. Homes, out-buildings and equipment on the museum grounds were moved here from other locations in the region to be preserved and aid in telling the story of our recent past. Interpreters at the museum provide the facts and stories that bring the Village to life with nostalgic glances of days gone by.
During special events at the Village interpreters demonstrate some of the historic tasks and crafts of the 19th century such as spinning, weaving, candle-dipping, soap making, hearth cooking, carpentry work, herb lore, gardening, printing, trade and bartering, and communication.
While you are here explore all the buildings, talk with the interpreters, try your hand at activities you see happening. You are a very important part of this Village. Linger awhile and enjoy your stay. That is why we have benches, for you to sit and soak up the quiet days of yesteryear. Enjoy your visits to the Village, learn something old, and come back soon.
Frequently Asked Questions About Heritage Village Museum:
When is Heritage Village Museum open?
We are open Wednesday through Saturday, 10:00- 5:00, and Sunday 1:00- 5:00
May through September.
- How can visitors experience Heritage Village? Visitors can visit eleven historic buildings on a tour with one of our guides. A Guided Tour will be at 10:30am, 12:45pm and 3:00pm Wednesday-Saturday and 1:30pm and 3:30pm on Sunday. Admission is $5.00 for adults, $3.00 for children 5-11. Visitors wishing to do a Self-Guided Tour (outside of buildings only) may do so during our open hours of operation. The cost is $3.00 for adults and $1.00 for children 5-11.
- How long does a tour take? The time varies, usually from one to two hours, depending upon the needs of the tour group.
- Where do visitors check in and pay admission? Admissions are handled in our Gift Shop in Hayner House. Follow the paved trail to the big white house and look for the Gift Shop sign.
- Can visitors wander through the Village on their own? Visitors can only walk through the Village on their own if they are taking an outside-only Self-Guided Tour or during special events (such as Spring in Early Cincinnati, Civil War Weekend, Haunted Village, and Holly Days). The historic buildings are not staffed at all times so they are viewable only while on a guided tour. Visitors cannot enter the buildings on a Self-Guided Tour due to our need to securely care for our collection. We hope to be able to offer an open village experience more often in the future. (Watch our Events page to find out when!)
- When can visitors see the Special Exhibits at the Village? Visitors can see the special exhibits any time during regular museum hours. Admission for "Exhibits only" is $2.00 for adults and $1 for children 5-11. Admission to exhibits is also included in tour prices.
- Are the buildings "real"? The buildings are actual historic buidlings that were saved from demolition and moved to Heritage Village Museum or replicas of historic buildings. They are from various locations around Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky.
- Can I take pictures at the Village? Village visitors may take pictures outdoors during their tour for their personal use. Professional photography of any kind requires a permit from Heritage Village Museum. There is no photography allowed in the special exhibits. (Please click the Photography tab for more information).
***For more information please visit the Plan Your Visit tab .